Saturday, April 5, 2014

Eight Sentences: Zeelia (12)

Three tall, thin beings stalked towards the edge of the water right below her perch. Softly glowing jellyfish-sacs of buoyant fluid floated around them providing an incredibly adjustable form of illumination. They carried spears and were covered head to toe in some sort of bark or chitin. It was impossible to tell if it was armor or their own natural hide. One of them spotted the place where she had come ashore and made gestures to its companions, which was all she needed to see to know it was time to get moving again. There was a sort of ledge formed by a twisted tangle of roots that led off around the main mass. She didn't get very far before the three hunters were picked out by the strobe lamps of a Jarpha pursuit aerostat. She didn't stop to watch how things would go; she knew all too well that the Jarpha had earned their reputation for ruthlessness.




Previous                                                                                       Next


The Weekend Writing Warriors site sponsors a round of 8-sentence excerpts every weekend. Zeelia (1) was my first 8-sentence except and has become a regular weekly feature here at my blog. There is a new Linky-list at Weekend Writing Warriors for everyone participating in the blog-hop each weekend. Be sure to check out some of the other writers!

12 comments:

  1. Good 8, Garrison! Incredible descriptions. I'm intrigued by this world. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will put together an Index Page for Zeelia in a couple of days, and I'm working on some illustrations to accompany the serial, including some maps.

      Delete
  2. Yikes. I want to know if the illuminated beings are good or bad, and if they deserve to be intercepted by the Jarpha, who scare me, even if I don't know who they are. I look forward to the Index : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we'll see next time. The Jarpha can be a bit scary. But they can also be bought; they are mercenaries.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy how descriptive you are, the writing really grabs me. I suppose I want to know why these beings are hunting down your other character, very specifically if there is motive at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I expect to reveal why the Jarpha are after her as soon as we hit the right moment to do so. In the meantime, yes, there is definitely a motive at work here. The Jarpha have a good reason to be pursuing her...at least good enough for them.

      Delete
  4. An interesting world, I really feel myself right there with her in that swampy place. Well done excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We only get to see a little bit at a time, but it is adding-up...

      Delete
  5. Interesting scene. I like how you described the three men. The Jarpha must be ruthless. I'm interested to see what they're really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The three hunters might show up again. If they're lucky. The Jarpha are reputed to be really nasty, but perhaps they're only misunderstood...we'll most likely get a chance to find out pretty soon...

      Delete
  6. What a fantastic world you've created! I'm curious and want to know more about those thin beings and jellyfish sacs. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying it. The hunters will (hopefully) be back again, either in this story, or another one, if they escape the Jarpha...

      Delete