Saturday, February 8, 2014

Eight Sentences: Zeelia (4)

She nearly lost a boot pulling her feet out of knee-deep leaf-mold. A quick adjustment and she was good to go. But go where? Away from the scalehounds and their masters. Quickly scanning her surroundings she spotted what looked like a fairly good option. It led deeper into the trees. Good enough. She ran for her life.




Previous                                                                                       Next


The Weekend Writing Warriors site sponsors a round of 8-sentence excerpts every weekend. Zeelia (1) was my first 8-sentence except and has become a regular weekly feature here at my blog. There is a new Linky-list at Weekend Writing Warriors for everyone participating in the blog-hop each weekend. Be sure to check out some of the other writers!

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors!

    Wonderful 8. I'm intrigued. The last line is perfect! Immediately drew me in--has me wondering what and why. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This has taken on a life of its own. You'll be seeing more of the what and why soon...

      Delete
  2. You got me! Who is she running from, and what are scale hounds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All will be revealed, eight sentences at a time, I promise.
      In the meantime, Scalehounds are ferocious beasts raised, trained and set to hunting after people whose blood-scent they've caught. Once they taste your blood, they will never stop. They are never found in the wild. They are quite unnatural.

      As to who has set the Scalehounds after her? That will become more clear once she gets a chance to catch her breath. All I can say right now is that they are not very nice people and they feel there is a very good reason to chase her down. The details will come out, but at eight sentences an installment, it might take a while...I'll do my best to make it worth sticking with the serial!

      Delete
  3. High stakes going on and I'm tense for her, thoroughly intrigued as to the backstory AND what will happen next. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really enjoying writing this eight-sentence-serial. I may have a short story that goes into the backstory a bit more, eventually.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh yeah. Serious trouble. But she's pretty capable, and she's made it this far...

      Delete
  5. Hey. Exciting snippet, but somehow it's now hard for me to think of 'leaf-mold' as the literal stuff. There was a quote from Tolkien on the wall of our Odyssey classroom about how writing springs like a seed out of the leaf-mold of the mind, so it's become a persistent metaphor for all of us. :)

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete